Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I Signed Up Again!



Well, I did it again, signed up for this year's A to Z Challenge! The A to Z is the brain child of Arlee Bird at Tossing It Out.  It challenges you to post something for each letter of the alphabet every day, except Sundays, in the month of April. That's 26 posts, which corresponds to the number of letters in the alphabet.

I have met so many talented bloggers through this challenge and some have become treasured blogger friends. It's also a lot of fun, trying to come up with something for a new letter each day. If you are interested in finding out more, please click on the A to Z button in my sidebar.

Even so, I was going to skip it this year because I couldn't think of a good theme and wasn't sure I could come up with something enjoyable for others to read. A theme is not required, but for me sticking to a theme is the real challenge. Anyhow, while exchanging emails with my blogger friend D. G. Hudson, I became inspired to try again. D. G. suggested some great subjects, which helped me come up with one of my own. You will find out what it is, come April.   

This will be the fourth year that I participate and I want to challenge myself to limit my words, to work on saying what I want to say without going on and on as I tend to do. My earlier A to Z Challenges have become a bit of a memoir. They are now posted in the Pages at the top of my blog. 

While on the subject of going on and on, I have several posts for my Letters from America, 1963 in draft right now. But I am struck with a ton of insecurity about them. This is unusual for me, normally I just throw things out there, hoping my posts will be read and enjoyed.  I may play around with them for a bit and try to find the right format. 

The letters have brought back so many memories, so much that I had forgotten, and I think they don't present me in the best light either. Maybe I'm embarrassed, I'm not sure. I know I was young, I know I was both brave and silly, caring and selfish, as I settled into life in these United States, trying to figure out this country, its people, and culture; myself, my life, and my life's direction and purpose. 

I'm coming away from these letters and this experience with a great deal of admiration for those of you who write memoirs. 









LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails