Thursday, January 27, 2011

Canyon Rocks, Books, Friends, Gratitude, and More


I couldn't post to my blog yesterday and after spending a couple of hours trying, I gave up. It was my friend Rachael's birthday, so a belated Happy Birthday to you, Rachael. 

I also wanted to welcome two new followers to my blog: Silent Reader and T. M. Kamson. I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

Finally: Thank you all so much for your fun comments about my husband's move and my chicken dinner. I loved them all!


As I looked outside this morning, spring fever overtook my senses and never mind all the work waiting for me in the house, I had to get outside. When it was Angel's turn to walk, I took the camera. We didn't go rock hunting; we just went for a lazy walk and took pictures of whatever we encountered. We saw many, many Western Scrub Jays, but they were too quick for my camera. The rocks, of course, were easier targets. 


It's really what grows on the rocks that's the most interesting.


A raven flew above, calling: croak, croak, croak.


A book from Sweden landed in my mailbox the other day. A gift from my friends Inga and Christina. 


The book was a surprise and they have no idea how thrilled I am to get it. The story takes place in Estonia, a country I have yet to read about, as far as I can remember. The book got very good reviews in Europe and I'm looking forward to reading it. Thank you both for this surprise!



Yesterday, I took out all the books I got from my friends lately and was astounded by their number. When I was injured and unable to drive, I felt it was very thoughtful of my friends to send books. They know books sort of keep me going, keep my stress in check, and so on. But now that I am fine, I'm just overwhelmed by their kindness and generosity.


My goat of a dog. Angel loves three things: To run, to sniff, and to climb. She is not much for food, treats, or petting. She also loves to look after me and guard the house and all of us in it.



Another raven flies by.


Sniff, sniff, who's been here? What are those stripes in the rock, I wonder. That's me, not Angel wondering about the stripes. She probably just wonders who went here or what kind of critter left this smell.


Back to yesterday, I decided to take pictures of all the books, post them on my blog, and thank my friends for their generosity that way. Well, everything got messed up. Most of the photos came out sideways and I have yet to find out if there is any way in Blogger to turn a photo clockwise. And Word, where I had my text, froze repeatedly. I turned the computer on and off, but nothing helped. All these messages…No -- I really didn't want an Error Report; I just wanted it to work!!! So frustrating!


So, Jane, Rachael, Judy, Inga and Christina – if you read this, as I hope you will: Thank you so much for all the wonderful books you have sent me recently. 


I also want to thank my friend Carol for always thinking of me with a gift subscription to a magazine when one is offered. 


The TV that arrived from the LA house has not yet been hooked up, so right now I can't even watch DVDs. With nothing to watch, I find myself going through the books so much faster. In the last few days, I have finished a light-hearted and fun book from East Africa --  Kenya to be specific, and I have almost finished Zeitoun, a book that is blowing my mind. More about them later. 


A cactus without thorns, growing in the cold and frost we have here at night.


Angel is enjoying her morning. I think I'm recovered now and back to our morning walks.  This was just wonderful – I feel so much more alive and invigorated.


The last rock with some very pretty lichen growing on it.


According to this book, The Law's Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada, that I gave myself for Christmas, lichens are indicators of air quality and their diversity and abundance are being monitored to help assess the impact of smog on Sierra ecosystems. According to our local naturalist, this is the book that has the information that best matches the flora and fauna of the Tehachapis. I have a lot to learn…..

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails