Thursday, January 20, 2011

Today and a Big Change is Gonna Come Saturday -- Hopefully!


I wasn't going to write anything this morning, but I woke up early and am feeling great, so here it goes:

This morning I'm going to a meeting of the Diabetes Support Group in town. It's run on a volunteer basis by a woman named Eve. Eve is my age, she is a brilliant woman who used to own a pharmacy in town. Then she decided to become a diabetes educator and after that a writer of mystery novels. As a diabetes educator, she travels all over the county, teaching people with type 1 diabetes, like me, how to use an insulin pump. She also travels all over the country to attend the various medical meetings related to diabetes. The meetings are either scientific and from those she brings us the latest news in diabetes research. Or the meetings cover all the latest supplies and gadgets to help us manage our disease, in which case she returns to our small town with a ton of information and all the latest news. She frequently invites guest speakers to our meetings, always interesting people that you will learn from. So the meetings are mostly informative, not so much a place where we talk about our problems with diabetes management, although we always get some of that in as well.  The group meetings, thanks to Eve's efforts, are remarkable. We live in a small town here -- I went to meetings like this at UCLA and they were nowhere close to being this good. I have missed so many meetings this year that I'm really looking forward to going today. I'll take my camera and see if I can come up with a blog post about it.

I'm sharing some photos of Soldier as I write this post. I feel he has been a bit overshadowed by the cuteness and blogging capabilities of Samson and the wisdom of my Angel lately. I wrote post about him here, so he has been featured before.


This is my favorite photo of Soldier. I think I have it edited somewhere with feet and organ pedals removed.


Soldier dancing for his supper.


Best friends.


Busted on the couch. Does he look guilty or what?


No one sleeps like Soldier.


He is my 77 lb lapdog and my snuggle bunches. When I kiss his ears, he burps with pleasure. What a funny dog he is.


My dentist is still sick, so today's appointment was rescheduled for next Thursday. I will skip visiting my niece today and maybe go over there on Monday, after my chiropractor appointment. You see, I have gotten very busy here at home, because on Saturday -- if all goes as planned -- my husband is coming up, with a bunch of guys to help, and a U-haul truck full of appliances and furniture from our Los Angeles house that has finally been rented. It took my husband so long to decide to rent it, but now the decision has been made, tenants have been found, and it is time to jump out into a new kind of life. I have no idea what will happen. My husband is younger than I by more than six years, so he's not eligible for full social security for another year and a half. He definitely wants to work, but all his work contacts are in Los Angeles, so we will see what happens. Maybe we can find a new way to make some money. We are a perfect team really: He is the entrepreneur and I am the background person with accounting and writing skills. You know I'll keep you updated on this exciting time in my life.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails