Tuesday, April 5, 2016

D is for Dogs

Me, alone. Life after loss.

Happiness is a warm puppy. ~ Charles M. Schulz



My dogs, Samson, the Samoyed, and Faith, the mutt. 

After he was diagnosed with liver cancer, Errol came home with Faith. He had adopted her from a couple of electricians he met outside the Tractor Supply store. She's supposed to be a lab/some kind of herding dog cross. I see pitbull in her too, so does the vet. And she can jump like a Jack Russell, and dig like one too, so you know I just have to get her DNA done. Now that one can.


Because of all the difficulties of last year, it became pretty much Samson's job to raise Faith and he did a wonderful job. 


Errol adopted Samson when he was still working in Los Angeles and lived in our LA house. So Samson was raised by Errol and he was very hard hit by Errol's sudden absence. For about six months, he was clearly not himself, very quiet and depressed. I was so grateful for Faith, as she provided much distraction for both Samson and me. 

Then suddenly he reinvented himself. 

It was as though he woke up one morning and realized he was the man of the house. And decided he had to be the strong protector of our home. This is a good thing and gives him a job, which is so important for a working breed. 


Samson and Faith have helped me so much this past year. I have no idea what I would have done without them here. 

P.S.

Faith says: Tell them I sleep with you in the bed, mommy.

Me: Yes, Faith goes to sleep at my feet as I tell her to, good dog that she is. Strange how I always wake up face to face with her! 








LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails