Thursday, April 28, 2016

X is for TaXes and BoXes

Me, alone. Life after loss.

Death and taxes may be inevitable, but they shouldn't be related. ~ J.C. Watts, Jr.

This quote perfectly describes how I feel about death and taxes right now. OK, so when your spouse dies, you are single, right? Which means that not only are you sad and grieving your spouse, but now you have to pay more taxes! 

Those of us who were here in 1963 will never forget 

At least they call you single at the IRS, not widow. The first time someone called me that, I almost protested because it just didn't seem to fit me. It conjured up pictures of widows of the past. On our street in Sweden, back in the early 1950s, a woman lost her husband to a sudden heart attack. She dressed in black forever and wore a black veil, don't know for how long the veil lasted, but I do know she scared me. 


 With Mary at the nuns' place.


In blue jeans, with Rachael and the statue of St. Francis

So glad jeans, boots, and sweaters are now acceptable wear for widows. Yes, I did get used to widow, but wonder why it's necessary to have that box on so many forms you have to fill out at different places. Maybe your doctors should know, but for the rest I would go with the IRS and rather be single. 

Well, on second thought, maybe the IRS could have a box for widows to check and have it mean less taxes for us. Maybe?

If not, I'm with Snoopy:



Dear IRS, I'm writing to you to cancel my subscription. Please remove my name from your mailing list. ~ Charles M. Schulz (Snoopy)





LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails