Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Celebrating Our Anniversary -- Hiking in the Canyon

Yesterday, we celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary with a great trek through the canyon. Since today is Tuesday, this should be about treasures and what better treasure than the memory of this wonderful hike to celebrate our love.


If you are not familiar with the desert mountains, you may think nature here only comes in this brown/beige color.


Which is not true. Here old grass and new grass intermingle under a dead juniper tree.


More surprising colors.


The grass is so green right now. It only grows under the junipers and I, of course, don't know why.


Can you see the blue juniper berries that aren't really berries at all, but small cones. 


This red was so surprising in the middle of a dun-colored field. As I walked across this field, I thought of how different the fields look here from those that Louise so often pictures on her blog from Western New York state.


Even the rocks are decorated with bright colored lichen.


And in a crevice, I find some lovely, dark green moss.


Look at these colors, aren't they gorgeous?


We come upon the ruins from a different angle this time. 


OK, so my husband says I'm supposed to climb up this rocky hillside.


And Samson says: Come on Mommy, you can do it.


On my way to the top, I find water on a rock. From the recent rains and snow, I suppose, but since everything else is dry, I make a note of it.


My husband marches ahead with the dogs while I slowly make my way up.



Looking back from  near the top, I see the ruins (in the middle of the picture) and how far I've climbed.


At the top some water awaits the dogs and they happily help themselves.


There is a creek bed at the bottom of the other side of the rocky hill. In it, I find this. I hope it's from some animal, but what kind I have no idea. Since I read a lot of mysteries, I could let my imagination run wild.......


So I hurry up and leave to catch up with my husband and dogs. 


Finally we arrive at the old beer truck that we visited in the beginning of April last year. I wrote about it and the ruins here.


Ah, the long way home. And look at those clouds! Don't they look like they're on their way somewhere important?

This was such a special day that I will remember forever. A good way to celebrate all our years together. So this will be my Treasure for today. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails