Monday, February 28, 2011

The Young Ones Come Out to Play


Welcome Leontien, a new follower of my blog. Leontien lives in Indiana and her blog is called   http://fourleafcloverdairy.blogspot.com. I am looking forward to getting to you, Leontien.

Yesterday, spring was in the air and, yes, thank you all my friends who commented, I did have a really nice day. Not only did I bake my oatmeal bread, I also cooked a real dinner for myself (when I'm alone, this does not happen often) and made some goodies for the dogs. Hubby is in L.A. again, working on prior commitments, I don't know if I mentioned that before. I got my walks in, but not my shoulder exercises. And I watched a good movie before going to bed and once in bed I continued reading this wonderful book about China, called Oracle Bones, until I fell asleep. Jane lent me this book, she hasn't read yet. Some wonderful friends I have. Thanks Jane, you will enjoy it once I send it back.


Outside it was spring-like weather yesterday. The neighbor's cows found some green grass/weeds to munch on and our yard was literally full of young ground squirrels running around, chasing each other and providing a lot of entertainment for the dogs and me.


I looked out my kitchen window and saw this little guy, a young gopher, busily nibbling on some weeds, then quickly popping back in its hole. Up and down he went. What strange underground lives they live and how nervous they seem every time they have to come up for a meal. There must be more of them, a whole litter of them down there, growing up underground. I never thought much about what goes on under the ground here. Between gophers, ground squirrels, and some snakes, perhaps, there must be large communities living under our yard. I enjoyed watching him though, he was good company while I washed my dishes. 


Angel and I walked to the mailbox to pick up Saturday's mail. On the way there, I took this picture of the snow in the mountains and the field where you can see some green coming up under last year's weeds.


Then this morning, we found out that winter isn't over yet. It was 14 F in the canyon and Samson was the only one happy to go outside. 


I don't know if you can see the frost, but it was there covering everything


and glittering in the early morning sun. I wonder if the gophers got cold. 

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails