Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Road Trip and the 3-Minute Doctor Gives Me 10, an X-Ray, and a Good Suggestion


Today, my husband and I headed down the mountain to Bakersfield where I first had an appointment with the nutritionist/diabetes educator and then one with the orthopedic surgeon, who I call the 3-minute doctor because that's the time he seems to allocate to his patients. Those of you who read my last post about him, may recall that I put him in his place, at least to my own satisfaction, last time I saw him. 

On the way home, approaching the mountains.


I first saw the nutritionist and that went really well. I still haven't gained any weight, but I am eating more protein and I now have a list full of good food suggestions. I also got a thing for my USB port where I can just place my insulin pump by my computer and it will download all the recent activities concerning blood sugar readings, carbohydrate counts, and insulin taken. That should be a great help. 

The green fields of the San Joaquin Valley.

We had lunch in the car and after that I saw the orthopedic surgeon. After I asserted myself so well last time, this time he was really responsive (but why, oh why does one have to go to such lengths). The chiropractor released me yesterday. All is well with my neck and spine. I will still have pain from the whiplash injury, but its something I can live with. And now I want to focus on my shoulder again. The doctor took an X-ray and showed me that the bone that was shattered, not just broken, but in little pieces, in May was completely healed and well-rounded and fit in the socket where it belonged. He said I am in an excellent shape and that I had a very serious injury that has healed remarkably well for someone my age. Happy news!

Beginning the uphill climb.

Then he gave me a note to take to the Physical Therapy place in town here, asking them to provide me with a complete do it yourself at home program. I didn't know that could be done and it would work great for me. I wouldn't have to spend $20 per visit and drive 30 miles each time. 


No one likes it when a big truck slowly inches out in the fast lane to pass an even slower moving truck.


Getting closer to our town.


Once there, we decided to stop here.



To pick up some RID-X for our septic system.


Getting closer to the wind turbines means home is not far away.


And now I don't have to go anywhere for a whole week. Next Thursday is our diabetes support group meeting where Eve will help us with eating healthy on a budget. That's the subject  of this month's meeting and I'm looking forward to it. Oh, I meant to say that being home, I will catch up on your blogs. I miss you all and want to know what you have been up to in the last couple of days.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails